Friday, November 9, 2012

Food Friday - Wahls Update

3 months ago I told you about the Wahls Diet. I promised an update - so hear we go.

I am nowhere near actually following every recommendation of the diet.


1.) Grain Free

I have completely cut out gluten and am happy to say it has made a huge difference.

My muscles twitches have dramatically decreased and my vision is less jumpy. I'm also less hungry in general and I feel more rested. I've even lost 10 pounds.

I have eaten gluten on occasion and I don't feel good afterward. I get extremely thirsty and lethargic.

I still eat some grains (rice, corn, or oats) but it is very minimal. 

2.) Dairy Free

I've been dairy free for years and rarely make exceptions. 

3.) Legume Free

I'm not legume free at all, but I am making different decisions than I used to about which vegetables to eat. I am off of obvious soy by eliminating tofu and soy milk, but soy is in EVERYTHING. We are gradually phasing out a lot of stuff at home.

4.) 9 Cups of Vegetables

I eat a ridiculous number of veggies, but I actually stopped counting how many cups of each. I figure if my plate is 3/4 vegetables at every meal, then I am good. I eat leafy greens at nearly every meal. If I don't have greens at breakfast, I'm hungry much earlier in the day.

It definitely feels worth it to me, and I'd like to keep heading in the right direction.

And now I give to you my favorite smoothie recipe.

1 banana, a tablespoon of sunflower seed butter, 1 cup of spinach, 1/2 cup of almond milk, and 1 cup of frozen berries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment