Tuesday, January 3, 2012

That's right - in the airport.

Here is a picture of where I pumped the other week




Oh weird - that looks like the middle of the airport. 

So. A few weeks ago I had quite an exciting day. I woke up at 4:30am, flew to NYC, went bridesmaid dress shopping (which was great fun), stood in the security line for 2.5 hours at JFK (not great fun), then flew back home. It was the first time I spent the entire day away from Zoe. It was also the first time I had to pump outside of the house. 

My earlier session of pumping in a dressing room and washing parts in the bathroom was like a 5-star hotel after seeing my options in JFK airport. There were two bathrooms on my departure concourse. One was disgustingly dirty and was packed with a very long line of people waiting. The other was closed. That explains the long line. I went to the Delta fancy pants sky whatever club to explain the situation and see if they could help me.

Here is how the conversation went in my head...
"I'm a nursing mother who left my baby for the first time and I need to pump. The bathrooms are disgusting downstairs, can I please enter the club for 10 minutes, pump, and then leave?"

"Of course you can you poor dear."




Here is how it actually went.

"Do you have an american express card?"

"No."

"Did you travel internationally today?"

"No."

"Then I can't help you, this club is for paying customers anyways."

Fantastic. 


Oh, did I forget to mention that employee spit fire? (He was perfectly nice, but I was exhausted so let's go with this interpretation.)

I wandered to the very end of the concourse, which happened to be deserted for some strange reason considering the rest of the terminal was packed with people sitting on the floor at gates. I lucked out and found these random seats behind a gate check-in.


I put my coat and sweater over my head and pumped in the middle of the airport while 2 kids ran around playing tag and their father looked at me like I was a crazy person. See how super excited I am?






I'm actually surprised the security guard standing across the hall watching me the whole time never came to ask me what the heck was going on. JFK and Delta - not so great at helping a mother out.

No comments:

Post a Comment