Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Big Sister

I have been fascinated with the idea of having more than one child, and the feelings surrounding it really surprise me. The second one isn't even here yet and I'm already completely obsessed and confused by the idea of Zoe having a sibling.

I attribute it to being an only child. Which is true in practice, even if not genetically. I actually do have siblings, but it's complicated.

We taught Zoe how to say "sister" when we made her this shirt and told our family that we were expecting another.


She shortened it to "sis-sis" and beams every times someone asks her if she's going to be a sister. She doesn't really know what the word means yet, so I guess she's excited because the person who is asking her is excited.

Then, at my first ultrasound, my heart actually exploded.

Zoe, knelt on the table next to me and put her head down on my chest and stared at the screen the entire time. Occasionally pointing at the tiny blob exclaiming, "Raisin!"



She didn't know why, but she was obsessed with that little raisin.

I felt this baby kick early. For weeks, I said it was too soon, and just ignored it. But 3 nights in a row, while I was nursing Zoe, this baby would move to the side she was sitting on and seemed to push out towards her.




After our anatomy scan we taught Zoe how to say, "Baby brother." She exclaimed all sorts of things. That she wanted to hold baby brother. She wanted to hug and kiss baby brother. That baby brother was inside mommy's tummy.

The other day we gave Zoe this book...




She asked to read it 8 times in a row. 





But still, she doesn't really get it because she put "baby brother" in her tummy too. 





She also tries to feed him...






If that's not love, I don't know what is.


We'll see what happens in 4 months.








No comments:

Post a Comment