Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A very merry unThanksgiving!

Let me preface this by saying that in actuality, I appreciate almost everything I see or do on a daily basis. I'm incredibly fortunate, love my life, and am thankful for most things in it. Isn't it just more fun to complain sometimes? In honor of Thanksgiving, here are 5 things I am not thankful for. Oh sad panda turkey.





1.) Rascal Flatts.
What is with this guy's voice. I feel like I must be hearing something different than everyone else does or this guy would not have 13 number one hits (I made that number up by the way). I am not even commenting on musical talent here. Just the fact that he sounds like a whiny girl with cotton in her mouth. Also, they apparently put out a new album and I have a huge problem with the cover art.


I'm all for being artsy and love me some sun behind an object photography, but this is super poor placement. Why is his crotch on fire?

2.) Feminism
Disclaimer: I obviously agree with equal rights, equal pay, free choice, ability to vote, protection against domestic violence etc. etc. I also know that there is a very real problem in the world when it comes to women's rights. I am a strong, smart woman and I cannot imagine being treated with anything other than respect.



However, men and women are different. We have different strengths and weaknesses, and different biological roles. I feel like our society is too scared to acknowledge them for fear of being sexist. 

Now that I've gone through this whole pregnancy/birth thing and care for a tiny human, I feel strongly about something. I think that it is crazy that we expect women to operate in the world in the same way that men do. How do you continue your normal work duties when you are throwing up all day for 17 weeks? How do you nurture a newborn when you get 6 weeks of maternity leave? Even after 12, things are still a bit dicey. When did stay-at-home-mom become something negative? I feel like true gender equality would embrace and support the differences between the sexes instead of trying to make them disappear.

3.) The reality TV rejects
You know the ones.The people that will never make the show they are auditioning for, but they get put on TV anyways.

The original reality TV cast off. WH made it cool to be god awful.

Why are the shows encouraging these ridiculous people with no talent to waste everyone's time? If you didn't televise it, they wouldn't come.

4.) Multiple Sclerosis
No chronic disease is something to write home about, but I'm particularly not grateful for this one.  The shear unpredictability alone is enough to make anyone a crazy person.



5.) Fox News
I have a high tolerance for bad TV, but the things said on this station make my ears bleed. I generally dislike all 24 hour news stations for their lack of, well, news. Here's what I learned today from Huffington Post...

Fox News viewers acyually know LESS about what is going on in the world than people who don't watch any news at all. Read more about the study here. 
That means that while I've been in newborn fog world and watching/reading no news at all - I'm still not the worst.

No wonder their poor viewers are so confused, look at where 'Egypt' is.

 

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment