Friday, October 3, 2014

Pixar Concerns

I'm going to veer off for a minute here.

Yesterday, I saw multiple links to the new Pixar movie trailer, "Inside Out".

Here, go ahead and watch it...




It immediately struck a nerve. I even had Yannos watch it while I sat silently by with the directions, "Does anything strike you?"

He shyly replied, "...Umm...sexist?" Because I'm on a real big gender issues kick. It was a good guess since I'm usually pointing out that stuff. But no, it wasn't that.

Why, WHY, WHY is the sad emotion animated as a short, fat girl with glasses? WHY? I feel like they really had the opportunity to do something that wasn't just reinforcing all stereotypes. Joy could have been short, or had glasses, or the horror, not been thin.

It just feels so expected.

You can only be happy if you are an adorable tall woman with light colored skin.








No comments:

Post a Comment